Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Works of Art Wednesday: Turkey 2015

Anna June is thankful, and like most Americans, she has been asked at school to write about what she is thankful for. I realize this scan isn't the clearest, so I will tell you what she chose to write on these feathers:

Asparagus
My pets
My family
Food
My parents

That kid loves asparagus. I'm not even sure I knew what asparagus was when I was a kid.

A big hats off to Rusty for this. Before he started cooking it regularly for our extended family, I didn't really have a lot of experience with the vegetable at all. It maybe showed up in can form (yuck!) in some kind of potluck salads, but it is safe to say that it wasn't served routinely in our childhood home. Mostly, that's because back then, our grocery stores didn't carry fresh produce when it was not in season. We get it from Mexico and Peru now, evidently. I learned from reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle that asparagus is available for a brief period in the early spring in the Southeast. That's it.  We recently looked it up and found that it is acceptable to eat as a finger food, so AJ and Ben are quite pleased with themselves that they've been doing it right all along, even though I still use knife and fork.


Anyway, Rusty taught me how to make it, so it makes an appearance almost weekly, especially when I ask AJ for input on Meatless Mondays.

Here's how I make it:
Step 1: Wash it.
Step 2: Snap it. (Take the flat end, bend it until it snaps off)
Step 3: Drizzle it with olive oil,
Step 4: Sprinkle it with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
Step 5: Bake it. I usually do it at about 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes, but if I'm making something else (like frozen rolls) I just cook it along with whatever else I am making, watching it to make sure it gets tender but doesn't burn.


Easy, mostly healthy, and a green veggie my kid will eat? No wonder we make it all the time! I'm thankful for apsaragus, too.

Even if it makes our pee smell funny.

2 comments:

Annie Gallitz said...

I'm going to try your recipe! I usually just steam mine , then butter.( I'll need to get some Kosher salt first)/, but it sounds simple enough! I wonder it she would also like cauliflower ( YUM!!!!Especially instead of mashed potatoes), and Brussels sprouts?

Laura Gallitz said...

She kind of likes cauliflower and I am not sure about Brussels Sprouts. I don't really like either one, sadly, so probably she's not likely to get them at our house. Sometimes cauliflower shows up in one of those frozen vegetable medleys I like to get but I can do without it.

You could probably use regular salt instead of kosher salt, but I think it is better for the job. One box lasts forever.