Monday, August 31, 2015

Read-a-Thon

Anna June loves to read. It's a good thing, because it's required at her school. But it's also fun, so we do it a lot.

When she gets finished with her work early in school, she gets to read books off the shelf in her classroom. After she started picking long ones, the teacher allowed her to bring them home (one at a time) to finish. She has been reading in the classroom, at after school care, at home, and just about everywhere.

School started August 5, and these are the "chapter" books that I know she has read so far this school year, not in order:

Miss Child Has Gone Wild (My Weirder School series #1) by Dan Gutman
Mrs. Lane is a Pain (My Weirder School series #12) by Dan Gutman
Amelia Bedelia Goes Wild by Herman Parish

Junie B. Jones has a Peep in Her Pocket by Barbara Park
Double Fudge by Judy Blume
Tales of  a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets by Dav Pilkey
Flat Stanley: Stanley in Space by Jeff Brown

So far, it looks like she likes books in series, and even better, she likes the funny ones.

And that's 8 chapter books in less than a month! She is still making all As on all her other work, so I can't complain.

Now if only cleaning her room were as much fun as reading...

We did have a nice time yesterday when it was dreary out just sitting and reading our books quietly together. It sort of makes all those times when I had to read the same books over and over fade into the background. We still read to her, but she can form her own reading adventures now.

3 comments:

Annie Gallitz said...

Ah! Now you (and Anna June ) begin to reap what you have sown !!!!! ( WONDERFUL things !!!)) I am going to have to read a few of those books myself, just to keep up !!)

Liz said...

I used to love Judy Blume!

Laura Gallitz said...

Yes, Judy Blume books were my absolute favorite. I remember reading Superfudge when I was in first grade. It's a very vivid memory - I may have read it more than once - sitting in our room on Kingsbury Avenue and laughing out loud. I may read it over AJ's shoulder because she's reading it now.