Friday, May 8, 2015

I. Can't. Even.

Anna June has had a great school year, overall. She's a model student of first grade. I have yet to hear a complaint about her academic performance or her behavior. She's doing great.

As a parent towards the end of the school year, though, I feel I'm limping towards the finish line.

I read it a couple of years ago, but it's been making the rounds on Facebook, so I thought I'd share this article by Jen Hatmaker about the end of the school year slump. It's funny, I promise. Best of all, though, I am evidently not alone.

Yesterday, AJ told me I had to check her backpack, because there were, "a lot of papers in there." There were SEVEN fliers/handouts/notices, and that's just one day.

It happens to be Teacher Appreciation Week. We got this note on Monday night. 
Even though the PTA provided lunch from Rusty's BBQ one day this week, evidently the administration wanted to put some guidelines on what we may want to bring to show our personal appreciation to our teacher. There was something suggested to bring in every day this week, including the day we got the note. We do appreciate AJ's teacher, so here is what we did:

Monday - nothing, obviously
Tuesday - I told AJ to pick out something from her candy stash. She pulled out a bite size (not even fun size) Snickers from Easter. Good enough, I told her.
Wednesday - AJ made a star from colored popsicle sticks, and she stuck the words "Great teacher" where they intersected like a crossword puzzle out of sticker foam letters we happened to have. I assisted her with how to spell "Great" and how to intersect the words, but the results were, forgive the pun, less than stellar. I didn't take a picture. We also sent her the last apple in the house, to make up for Monday.
Thursday - AJ made a card (on regular paper - she had no use for my card stock) with one of her trademark butterflies. She wrote something very sweet, like "You're the best teacher I've ever had. I will miss you over the summer. From: Anna June." She was still coloring in the car, and vowed to finish during free time. I hope the teacher received the card. I helped with spelling. We had baseball practice Wednesday night. It was seriously the best we could do.
Friday - Teacher Survival Kit. Thursday night, AJ had a baseball game, so I thought we'd handle it in the morning (since I am doing so well at this). Then, she had a nightmare and ended up sleeping on our floor. So I got up and made this myself, from 100% "recycled" materials:




Mints from party favors from AJ's golden birthday parties. Jar from party favor from AFWC event. Ribbon recycled from previous gift. Tag from paper from one of the dang notes they sent home yesterday. Inspiration from Pinterest, probably from this post.

And today was the day to turn in school picture orders. I ordered them! Even though it looks like she's sitting on an invisible stool!



And today was an Out-of-Uniform day. If kids paid $2 for a fundraiser, they could wear the shirt and hat of their choice with uniform bottoms. On a serious note, the older girls' running club, Girls on the Run, was raising money for the family of the kindergartner who was struck by a car on his way to school. He is out of the hospital and doing well, but the kids wanted to do something to help.

This is AJ from this morning. Photo by Dad, because Mama ain't got time for that.
You will notice the shorts/boots combo. This is because we are missing her other sneaker. Somehow, in a quick change scenario between the car, the baseball field, and home, it is missing.


Have you seen this shoe, Avondale?

She's also wearing her baseball belt, which I did not pack for last night's game, but was somehow easier to find than her school belt, which was in the toy box. But she didn't want to change.

And the shirt from the giant box that arrived from Granny yesterday. Thank you, Granny!


This is madness. We've had madness all year, but it is being compounded.

In the next 20 days (counting weekends) until school is out, there will be Field Day (bring Popsicles!) and the End of the Year program (show up!) and who knows what all else - not even counting baseball. (Two more games! Two more practices!) And regular life: birthday parties, church, family gatherings, holidays, and, oh yeah, my high school reunion. It does not look like I'll have time to get a new career or lose 50 pounds, so I'll just settle for trying to show up.

My lofty goals of leaving home dressed impeccably with dry hair and at least minimal makeup have been dashed. It is a wonder we leave the house at all. AJ and I have an ongoing battle about going to the bathroom first thing in the morning - I have no idea why, but she just doesn't want to go. I told her we weren't leaving the house until she went. She told me we'd have to stay home all day. I told her that was fine with me - I have stuff I have to do.

If you were to ask my child where her mother likes to eat breakfast, she may say, "the car." My head hangs in shame, but I handed her a cup of yogurt and a plastic spoon and said, "This is your breakfast," as she buckled herself in.

I am so, so grateful to have a group of PTA members and teachers who help keep us informed of what is going on, whether it is by text, email, Facebook, or in person. We could not do this without each other. Especially since we're all just getting by.

I booked all of AJ's summer camps and activities on time, so I did achieve one goal. But packing lunches and swimsuits may be worse. At least there's no counselor appreciation week.
 
And yes, I have booked our beach trip.

No comments: