Sunday, February 15, 2015

Take Me Out

This week has been busy and weird for everyone, including Anna June. Today, Ben took her for the talent evaluations for Southside Baseball.

Today, the high was in the 40s, so they tried to keep things running smoothly. Besides a jacket, Anna June wore her turquoise velour sweatpants, a white long sleeved t-shirt, and her pink Milwaukee Brewers jersey (Granny had "LUCROY" stitched on the back). She used her new glove and wore her Atlanta Braves hat. AJ checked in and was assigned a number. She reported to the 7-8 year old group, as she'll turn 7 during the season. For this age group, the coaches pitch to the batter, but there is still a player assigned to be pitcher for fielding purposes. During the evaluations, She ran, fielded grounders, tried her hand at different positions, and took a turn at bat. There were 4 other girls who showed up to play. The point of the talent evaluation is to make sure the teams are balanced fairly - you don't want a team with only All-Stars or a team that never wins. At the moment, we are anxiously awaiting team assignment. AJ knew several children from school, so I am sure she'll be comfortable with whichever team she gets. This video starts as a slideshow of all the photos Ben took, and ends with a video of her at bat.

Anna June - Baseball Talent Evaluation Day from SRG on Vimeo.

We are looking forward to living at going to Avondale Park for the next few months.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good hit..perfect run to 2nd base..just like Jonathan LuCroy!

Laura Gallitz said...

She said she could have gotten home, but she didn't want to be thrown out.

Anonymous said...

Granny says: I'm SO GLAD that she got a hit!!!!!!She has got a good role model in J . Lucroy! If you don't think that makes a difference, My dad taught me to adopt a batting stance like Eddie Matthews ( old time Milwaukee Braves great), and I bat like that to this day, with my butt sticking out !!! I'm also SO glad that the coaches are doing the pitching!! ( what a relief) ' cause I thought that you guys were a little nuts at first, to tell you the truth, letting a 6 yr. old girl play HARD BALL !!!!!!But its all good, I see!!!! I will be Cheering so loud from my home base here in MILW,----I'm sure she'll hear me all the way from here! LOVED the slide show and the video!!! Here's to a really fun season!!!!!'

Laura Gallitz said...

We are still waiting for team assignment. We hear it will happen this week and practice will start next week.

Interestingly, I usually don't call baseball "hardball" (as opposed to softball). There's nothing soft about a softball if you get it in the face.

At age 6 and 7, I don't see a lot of physical strength differences between boys and girls, so I think she will be just fine.