Monday, December 1, 2014

What I Learned from #bloglikecrazy and Goals





Anna June sometimes likes being the star of this blog, and sometimes she doesn't. So today, she's not going to be, although she did take this picture.


As a follower of See Jane Write Birmingham, I tried to get a post up every day in the month of November. It almost happened. I made 28 out of 30 days. What happened over the weekend? Laziness, probably. We went bowling. We watched a little football. We ate a lot of junk food.

Here are some things I learned:

1. Even when trying to be mindful of my commitments, it is hard to sit down at a keyboard and write. I have a lot going on. I have multiple projects started at once, in addition to the cooking, the dishes, the laundry, the "Mama!" responding, and the chore-enforcing. And, oh yeah, a full-time job.

2. A short post is still a post. My main audience is my family. They want up-to-the-minute coverage. Even if I post that nothing happened, they want to know. Usually, if I think hard enough about it, I can come up with something funny or interesting.

3. Just do it. There are lots of days when I posted from my phone, in bed, at the end of the day trying to get something in. This year in November I published 28 posts. Last year it was 12.

4. Asking for help is OK. Although my only guest posts were from AJ herself, I asked her to provide content since she thought my content was no good. Ben also helped tremendously with the photos.

Here are my current goals:

1. Plan what to write about and schedule time for it. For example, I know I want to write about the school spelling bee that's coming up on Friday the 12th. I will need to set aside some time on Saturday the 13th to work on it, even though we have three places we need to be that day.

2. Photos. A) take more of them B) take better ones, like, with a camera and not a phone C) be more selective and D) edit them so they look better. Interesting photos will enhance the content.

3.  Accentuate the positive. Boy, am I a whiner. I whine about my own health and lack of sleep, my kid's lack of sleep and her whining, and just about everything else in between. It's fine to show that everything in the whole world is not awesome, but if I only write about negative things, no one is going to want to read this. AJ is having a wonderful, sometimes magical childhood, and I want so desperately to capture the magic moments. She's a great kid and I enjoy telling everyone about her.

4.  Nix the super-long posts. I am trying to limit myself to 600 words for the post. For November, I did this with only one exception. If I make the time to write, I want everyone to know the whole entire story, and they don't need to. If they want to know more, I can write more. The word limit forces me to focus on what is the most important, like a journalist with a column-inch limit.

In general, I enjoy writing and connecting with family and friends through my blog. In 2015 (and in December if I can manage it), I hope to stick to these goals and give my readers an improved product.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that you did an AMAZING job of sticking to the blog in NO-vember!!!( I will always want to put that dash in there now !)THANK YOU so much for each and every blog! Thank you for all of the effort and determination it took to produce each one! I totally get how tempting it would be to say," I'm too tired to do this ."There is NOTHING in this world that sets my day right like a blog from you . And I do not say that to pressure you into continuing them -----in fact, I hope you will cut yourself some slack during December. (Its a killer, I know.)

Laura Gallitz said...

Thank you. I tried to say NO a lot last month but there were still things that cropped up at the last minute that could not be helped. I will try to be mindful, even in this season of crazy commitments, that I do not have to do everything.