Saturday, December 6, 2014

Tree Lighting

As she has done for the past two years, Anna June participated in the Forest Park/South Avondale neighborhood tree lighting ceremony last night.

It was dark and hard to get a good picture, but Aunt Connie took this one.


The children from Avondale Elementary sang "Jingle Bells," "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas," and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."

Anna June did well singing along with the group and the CD with the backing tracks. This casual affair was not big enough to have a band! They even did some hand motions to "Holly Jolly Christmas," which were adorable.

We are grateful to Aunt Connie and Uncle Tim for coming to the event! Silvertron CafĂ© had hot chocolate afterwards, which was nice, but it was so warm out that we didn't even need it. 

The owner of Silvertron, Marco Morosini, has been a big supporter of our school. He also took this photo, which may soon be appearing on the Forest Park South Avondale merchant's association website.



Unfortunately, the event was planned at the same time as the All-City Christmas Music Festival, so our school's music teacher was at Boutwell Auditorium with the choir students from fourth and fifth grades. Mrs. Miller, a first grade teacher and leader of the school's dance troupe, stepped in to lead the kids in his place.

Flashback alert: While I don't recall singing at a tree-lighting, I am pretty sure I sang at All-City about 5 times when I was a Birmingham City Schools student, and I loved every single time. It was so powerful to come together in a room with kids from all across the city, dressed alike and singing together. The high school choirs sounded so impressive and it gave us elementary and middle school students something to aspire to. My brothers participated, too, and probably didn't find it as magical as I did, but I hope that AJ gets to do it when she is older. OK, flashback over.

The music is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. I am so glad AJ had the opportunity to sing with her friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that I get it ---------- why are there so few kids singers?

Laura Gallitz said...

Well, there are a variety of reasons. 1) We traditionally have a hard time getting kids to participate in evening activities. There's a lack of interest, a lack of transportation, a lack of willingness to throw off schedules of young(er) kids, homework burdens, etc. 2) There was something going around. At least 2 moms I know of told me their kids came down with a fever and/or stomach bug 3) The 4th and 5th Graders were at All-City 4) Lack of communication with parents. Though I mentioned it on Facebook to the PTA parents a couple of times, there were still parents who said, "This is the first I've heard of it" when I posted the pictures. We got a note sent home to sign and send back, but there were no other reminders circulated. We need to do a better job. 5) There's no ideal time. The 3rd Friday in November was too early, and the 1st Thursday in December is already conflicting with other Christmas events. The kids who came did an excellent job, though!