Wednesday, November 12, 2014

That Time We Did the Right Thing

Anna June learns from us all the time, whether we are trying to teach her anything or not.

Recently, we went shopping at Ross. I was on a quest for the perfect nightgown for our trip, and AJ and Ben started browsing in the toy section.

With my purchase found, I was headed to the register. Ben walked up to me and said, "I found a $10 bill over in the toys. What do I do?"

Briefly, I thought, "Hey! Finders keepers!" Recently, I had a $10 in my pocket because I hadn't wanted to carry a purse where I was going. It was still folded up on the dresser the next day and Ben asked me about it. I told him I wouldn't lose it, but then, after putting it back in another pocket, I did. (Sorry, honey.) In my mind, the Universe could have been giving me back what I lost.

But instead, I said, "Let's turn it in." I had to set a good example for AJ, after all.

The cashier said, and the security guard confirmed, that it was their company policy to take down the name and phone number of the person turning in the money. If no one claimed it after a certain period of time, it would be mine.

That was a win-win situation, but for some reason, I decided that I didn't want it back. I didn't want to give them my info. I told the cashier she could keep it if the owner was not found.

They insisted that I write down my name and number. I did, and we left the store.

Later that night, the phone rang. It was high election season and I expected another politician's robo-call. Instead, it was a lady with a thick accent.

"Is this Laura?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"This is ________. I am ________'s mother." I figured it was someone I was supposed to know from school.

"Um, hi," I said.

"________ lost his money in the store and they told me you found it and I was just calling to say thank you." She sounded so grateful. She probably needed that ten dollars more than I did, I thought.

"God bless you," she said.

He already has, I thought. "You, too," I said as I hung up the phone.

Soon afterward, I found my missing $10 in my car, wedged between the seat and console, where it had been all along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TÀlittle kid who lost his precious toy money learned a few lessons too. I am so glad that you spared that child this angst!

The universe carries on with its cosmic balancing act.

Laura Gallitz said...

Yes, the mom said he was crying! I am glad we were able to help.

Gail K said...

Good decision. Glad it worked out for you.

Laura Gallitz said...

Thanks. I wish I could say I always did what is obviously the right thing, but I can't.