Sunday, November 9, 2014

Disney Trip: More Epcot

Anna June may not have been very adventurous on our journey to taste our way around the world, but I had a great time sampling the small plates from various regions at the Food and Wine Festival.

If I recall correctly, here are most of the dishes we tried:

China: Mongolian Beef in a Steamed Bun (me), Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles (Ben), Chicken potstickers (AJ)

Germany: Schinkennudeln Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese (me)

Mexico: Rib-eye Taco (me, with sampling by AJ)

Ireland: Cheese Selection (AJ, although we helped)

Greece: Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce (Ben), Spanakopita (me)

Puerto Rico: San Juan Breeze -Non-alcoholic lemonade (AJ and me)

Hawaii - Maui Splash Sweet Pineapple Wine (Me.) - By the way, this was the only disappointing thing we tried. Ben pointed out before I ordered it that I have never liked fruit wine, but I couldn't be dissuaded.

We also had other snacks in the park. AJ and I had a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. AJ had a pretty delicious fruit cup. Ben had fish and chips over in the England section, at a place that's part of the year-round attractions.

This looks like a lot of food, but it really wasn't. Each plate was tiny. Ben confessed that he doesn't like eating that way (grazing) because you can't ever really get full.

We did have fun looking at all the permanent buildings, some of which were exact replicas of famous foreign landmarks. 

When we went back to the hotel and AJ was asleep, I went down to the dining room and got us some late-night dinner. We weren't inclined to travel super early on a completely empty stomach. Ben got a salad and I opted for the turkey sandwich, based off Thanksgiving dinner. "Oven-roasted Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Cornbread Stuffing, Cranberry Mayonnaise, and Watercress on Texas Toast served cold with House-made Chips, Pasta Salad, or Coleslaw" It was definitely the worst thing I ate the whole trip. Who wants cold mashed potatoes? On a sandwich? I should have read the menu more closely.

We enjoyed our trip "around the world". Ben and I have talked about going back one day just the two of us, but I don't know if that's realistic or not. Maybe we should just renew our passports and go to one of the real countries instead.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,yum!!!!!!! This sounds fantastic! What fun! Do you really think you would go back???? I like this pic of AJ a lot! In Herr little Minnie mouse shorts! And cute do! At first I thought that she was sitting somewhere way up high, and I was a little alarmed that she was so close to the edge! But no w I see that they are miniatures! That Disney park....... HSS a little bit I
Of everything!!! ( btw, thank you for the art work! We are getting the vbiggest kick out it all!

Laura Gallitz said...

I don't honestly think we will go back. It was fun, but will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. There are so many other places to go and things to do.

Yes, AJ slept in her fancy hairstyle - they put so much gel in it, it was not going anywhere.

This is a miniature train type thing near the Germany section of Epcot.

It's funny - you and I both like those shorts, but AJ HATES them, and when she saw this picture yesterday, she said, "I wish I hadn't seen that," and asked me to get rid of the shorts. The polka dots do look like Minnie Mouse, although they weren't specifically.

I'm glad you like the artwork. Some of it is really old. We no longer have the "gallery" in our kitchen like we used to, but I was still keeping manila envelopes to send samples to you with. Then, I completely neglected it for months and months until I got an off day and rounded up all the stuff I had to send. I'm glad it is still new to you!

gail k said...

This made me hungry - the best part of vacation is the food :-)

Laura Gallitz said...

We do eat out a lot so AJ has a varied palate. But I loved that we could try a whole bunch of things at once. Also, there's only like one German restaurant in town and that may have been my favorite thing.