Thursday, August 14, 2014

First Day of First Grade!

Anna June woke up before 6:00 AM today, in anticipation of her first official day as a first grader.

She decided she didn't like the uniform I had gotten ready for her (too big), so it is a good thing we saved the ones from last year. We'll work on it later. In Pre-K and K, I was kind of obsessed with how things would go, but now, I realize that school will happen even if I do think her backpack is grubby (although she thinks it is fine and doesn't need a new one). We did the shoes, the haircut, the eye appointment, etc. but the learning will happen with or without those things. Sometimes sanity is better than brand new clothes.

Here's the official first day picture:

You can compare them to the ones from Pre-K and Kindergarten taken in the same spot.

And here are a couple more, which I took against her will:


This year there are desks! And spelling words! Homework! A locker! We get to bring things like headphones instead of things like paper towels.

You can't see it in the photos, but the little "thing" Granny sent in a package we got yesterday is tied to the zipper of her backpack. The "thing" is to remind her that she is loved.

While we were eating our granola this morning, she said something I wish I had written down. It was something like, "I feel excited, and there's nothing anyone can do about that."

Watch out first grade - here comes Anna June!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet girl........she looks happy in these photos, and eager and ...almost relaxed. Is that possible?????? wow--1st grade even LOOKS different already. I;m SURE its going to be a WONDROUS year!!! (thank you for posting so promptly----that was a compassionate thing to do !!)

Laura Gallitz said...

Thanks. Since I promised I would only post about AJ on Facebook to promote blog posts, and everyone else was showing off their first day pictures, I felt compelled to hurry up. She is pretty relaxed - she knows her teacher and a lot of the kids in her class. She woke up early, got ready, and was reading a book while I got my act together. She may be tired from going to bed late and getting up early, but she will be fine.