Monday, August 18, 2014

Bouquet


Anna June and I went to church yesterday and found some redecorating had gone on. In the new look, they no longer had room for this painting done by my grandmother. I got to bring it home and do some redecorating of my own.
Four years after she died, we are still overwhelmed with little reminders here and there of her incredible life.
Just the other day, Aunt Connie ran across this quote, attributed to Winston Churchill: "Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." That reminded us of Grandma, for sure.
Anna June was two when Grandma Annette died. She remembers crazy things like finding a Milk Bone dog biscuit under her bed while she was on hospice.
Sometimes when I am singing, I hear her voice in my head. I cry because I miss her so much, but also because I will never be that good.
I see her friends online or in person, and it seems so unfair that they carry on with their club work and their grandkids and she is gone. I hear her reciting the Club woman's collect, "Keep us, O Lord, from pettiness...and let us not forget to be kind."
Today would have been my grandparents' 62nd wedding anniversary. I am the one who got the flowers.

Posted via Blogaway

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful painting !I don't believe that I knew Annette was also an artist, but .\, wow! she was wonderful at that as well. It is hard to think of it being 4 years . I wish so much that she was still here---for AJ, for you , your family , and the world.

Laura Gallitz said...

Thanks. Yes, she painted occasionally. She had mostly given it up by the time I was born. You can only do so much at once!

bvigorda said...

That really is a beautiful painting. Glad you ended up with it.