Friday, July 18, 2014

On Impulse

Anna June hasn't seen much of me this week. On Monday night, I had a PTA board meeting. On Tuesday night, we had a reception celebrating the 30th anniversary of UAB's Benevolent Fund. On Wednesday night, I had an Alpha Phi alumnae meeting at our house, and AJ went to Nana and Granddaddy's for a play date with Wesley. I realize I volunteer too much, but it is just my luck that it all happens on the same week.

I saw a card we got in the mail advertising The Music Man, Jr. at the Red Mountain Theater Company. Last year, we got tickets from Ben's work to see a production of Beauty and the Beast, Jr. She had a blast - we took our pal Mallory and it was so much fun. The "Jr." line of musicals is adapted to be family-friendly and the actors are ages 7-14. I thought it may be fun to spend some time with AJ and be entertained by kids (around) her age.

While AJ was still in the tub, I asked her if she'd like to see the play. She asked the name and I told her. She said she'd like to see the movie first.

I don't remember ever telling her that there was a movie called The Music Man. Maybe she's just way more aware of pop culture than I think.

I told her we'd have to watch it some time. She said something along the lines of, "You always say later and that means that we're not going to do it."

I knew she was right. I do tell her "later" a lot. Mostly because we don't get very much time together and the time we do have is already pretty much planned: getting ready in the morning, dropping her off at school or camp, picking her up, eating dinner, taking a bath, going to bed.

I told her to skip washing her chlorine-filled hair and get out of the tub. We were going to watch the movie.

Because we subscribe to both Netflix and Amazon Prime, we searched to see if it was available. It was available only by rental, through Amazon. What the heck? I thought. If I could pay less than $5 to watch it in HD on my TV and not have to go anywhere, spend time with my child watching a movie I really like but haven't seen in years, and also begin to fix a situation where I always say "later" or "tomorrow", I was in.

As soon as I started the film, Ben asked was I sure I wanted to start a 2.5 hour movie well after 7:00? Too bad - we had already started.

So for the next few hours, AJ and I were in River City, Iowa, watching the town transform under the spell of Professor Harold Hill.

Towards the end of the movie, Marian says something will happen tomorrow - I don't even remember what (meeting him at the footbridge, maybe?), and Robert Preston says to Shirley Jones, "My dear little librarian, pile up enough tomorrows and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering."

(Photo source here)
So even though it was just an old movie, I'd like to think that AJ and I did that - we seized the day, because "Tempis fugit!" like the mayor's wife kept saying. We may be sleepy now, but we had fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!I LIKE This!!!!! So, did she like it enough to go to the play??????

Laura Gallitz said...

I don't know yet. It was 10:00 when she got in bed and we were both too groggy to think about it this morning.

Anonymous said...

Granny has never even seen this musical! ( do you think I am the only American to be able to say that ?)

Laura Gallitz said...

It is truly hokey, and long. There are some iconic numbers in it: "76 Trombones" and "Trouble" come to mind right away. "Pick a Little Talk A Little" is also a fun tune.

It was worth renting, but not owning. Maybe the library has a copy. I am sure it is not in the running with The Sound of Music to be her favorite.