Thursday, March 6, 2014

Wacky Sock Day

In honor of Read Across America Week, Anna June's school has had a bunch of fun activities scheduled. On Monday, The Seasoned Readers (a subgroup of The Seasoned Performers) came to read to the children. On Tuesday, it was Hat Day. AJ wore her snowman hat.

On Wednesday, it was Wacky Sock Day. AJ wore mismatched socks as she has each time this holiday has come up. But this time, we decided to up our game. In fact, AJ got so excited she woke up at 5:45 AM! Good grief.

First, she decided that two socks would be gloves. We informed her they'd have to come off as soon as she got in the school.

This brought back memories of our childhood, when it always seemed to snow or get cold on the one day we couldn't find mittens or gloves, so we ended up just using socks on our hands. I don't remember if I ever told AJ about this.

She surprised us, though, by calling this improvisation of socks-on-hands  "Mississippi Gloves." She claims this was an original thought. I proclaim it brilliant, but with apologies to my friends from Mississippi.

Next, she put her hair in pigtails and tied it with mismatched socks as ribbons. That one was my idea.

Finally, we made a sock scarf by safety-pinning several different socks to each other. I will admit to having seen this on Pinterest. She looked smashing.

This is the only photo I thought to take, waiting in the drop-off line that morning.

I hope your day is wacky in a good way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks adorable! Started my day off laughing! at the "Mississippi Gloves"......a true Anna June-ism! Loved the Picture of them too, along with her Pigtail holders! I don't remember sending a snowman hat ever....WHO ELSE IS SENDING SNOW MEN STUFF!?????( I'm a little possessive of my "terrain " , enna ??!!) O h well......! The scarf is a cute idea too! SEE, MOM; YOUR Creativity is rubbing off on this girl, and adding SO MUCH FUN to her life!!!!!!! ( Good on ya!!)
essive of my terrain, enna ?

Laura Gallitz said...

You sent her a snowman hat a few years ago. I will try to find a picture.

Laura Gallitz said...

The picture of the snowman hat can be found here: http://annajune.blogspot.com/2012/01/photos-by-ruth-kennedy-anna-june.html

Anonymous said...

OKAY! Now I remember!! WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE THAT AWFUL LITTLE THING???????????????But I guess that it is definitely "Wacky"! ( That was a LONG Address--for ME!)THANKS!!!!