Saturday, February 22, 2014

Valentines

Anna June was out of school for Valentines day. We did a lot to celebrate the holiday anyway.
Even before February started, AJ began to work on her classroom Valentines. I bought in bulk last year. She would have had enough to go around, but she messed up a couple and we had to hit up Wal-Mart for some more.  Luckily, they had some dog and cat themed cards to go along with the dog ones we already had.
As soon as the month began, we trekked to Dunkin Donuts for heart shaped donuts. AJ had seen them on TV.
First, she made Valentines for the special people in her life. She painted this big heart several days earlier, and it was a valentine for Uncle Drew. She made one for her Granddaddy at church. She made one for her Nana at after-school care.
On Thursday, instead of going to school for her party, we had another snow day. Ben and I had to work a half day, so she got to deliver valentines to the Tuckers a day early.
On Friday, AJ woke up at 5 AM to deliver the valentines she had made for us. We each got a regular valentine and a different card. She gave me some artificial pink roses (my favorite) and a small heart-shaped box of chocolate (also my favorite). She gave Ben a bag of pistachios with a tag she made (that I thought of) which said "I'm still nuts about you."
We made heart shaped pizza for dinner. We made heart shaped cookies for dessert. (These were possibly the most successful cookies I've ever made. I used the Southern Living recipe for sugar cookies and The Joy of Cooking's recipe for royal icing.)
The next morning, I still wanted to continue the celebration, so we went to Chick-fil-A for some heart shaped biscuits.
There is more, but it will have to be later. My valentines are awake and hungry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite the outfit in the one picture!!It is nice that she loves her people so much .

Laura Gallitz said...

I believe that was a gymnastics leotard with attached skirt, polka dot socks, and a snowman cape. Her face was also painted. It was our 6th of 6 snow days, and clothing got a little crazy.

Laura Gallitz said...

I believe that was a gymnastics leotard with attached skirt, polka dot socks, and a snowman cape. Her face was also painted. It was our 6th of 6 snow days, and clothing got a little crazy.

Anonymous said...

You know, we were looking at her face in the 'cape' photo, and we magnified it x 400 because something didn't look right, and we still came to no conclusions. The guesses ranged from " progeria" (not me) , to " she must have make-up on " ( me ). I'm glad to know all is well !

Laura Gallitz said...

I am still learning the limitations of the mobile version of the blogging software. There are 3 different apps on my phone right now, none of which are perfect. The best way is to email the photo to myself and then insert it from a "real" computer, and then the image can be enlarged. Unfortunately, the easier way is to tap on my phone and insert it into the program while I'm typing the post. I'll keep that in mind.