Friday, October 11, 2013

Brat in the Hat

Anna June's school goes by Birmingham City's strict dress code, and the children wear uniforms. While the policy specifies the color and style of the shirts and pants/skirts/jumpers/shorts the children wear, it doesn't say much about socks, except you have to wear them, or hats, except you're not supposed to wear them.

However, today has been deemed Crazy Socks and Crazy Hat Day at Avondale.

Because the socks are sort of left up to the kids, we let AJ wear socks with outrageous patterns and colors all the time - thanks to a huge supply sent by Granny. I have only bought her a couple of pairs of socks ever in her life. She must have 50 pairs right now. For the socks, she decided she'd go mismatched, to be "crazy". She chose a black sock with yellow trim and polka dots, and then a somewhat plain gray sock, noticeably taller, with purple trim. Not TOO crazy, in my opinion.

But Anna June had a vision about what she wanted to wear on her head.

She has over 25 different hats and more than 50 headbands, but she wanted to be creative.

She wanted to wear striped tights on her head.

Ben and I spent some time trying to engineer the legs to stand up like she wanted. I unfurled a coat hanger, only to discover that the legs extended to full height would be a little TOO crazy. Ben suggested folding them in about halfway. We stuffed them with newspaper and reinforced with drinking straws.

While we were making this, AJ was trying to do her homework. But we started a bit late, and she was exhausted. Multiple meltdowns ensued. I calmed her down by reading her a long book. She had her traditional struggle going to bed. It was awful.

This morning wasn't better. She fought with me over every detail, including breakfast. I was glad to send her to school.

She looked like this:


Because of her Seuss-like look and her awful behavior, we dubbed her "The Brat in the Hat"

Interestingly, the occasion for dressing up today is that they're having a program called "PBS: Positive Behavior Support" where they talk about rewarding children for good behavior.

3 comments:

Laura Gallitz said...

My mother has informed me that it is terrible to call my child a brat. She was not present when AJ threw a fit over peaches and cream oatmeal this morning.

Anonymous said...

WHERE IN THE WORLD DOES SHE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF????????? I almost peed. I hope there is an award for the craziest "HAT" , and I hope she wins it. I also wonder how long it stayed on ! And what the other kids thought! ps. I never thought the socks I send were "outrageous". She just seemed to prefer patterned socks, when ever I saw her Maybe this is an indication of where she gets this from ..........

Laura Gallitz said...

They were supposed to give out door prizes - I don't know if there was an award for the craziest hat or not. Unfortunately, her creative ideas don't always pan out true to her vision. Last month, she went straight home to make a model eagle out of the Crayola modeling clay-type stuff you sent, only to realize that she had no concept or ability in how to sculpt an actual eagle. She had detailed plans about how she was going to make it with its wings extended, then let it dry, then paint it. She ended up submitting a pencil drawing for that contest instead.

I meant outrageous as in wild patterns - not that they're not cute. They're definitely cute, and they offset her uniforms nicely. Sometimes she likes patterns, sometimes she wants plain. Sometimes fancy, sometimes not. She certainly has plenty to choose from. I think the teachers don't really care if the kids wear socks with all different colors as long as they behave well. And AJ usually does - at school.

We also packed her a cheesehead, in case her "hat" was determined to not be a hat. I do wonder how long she wore it before getting irritated - she was already complaining that the straws were poking her head. The program wasn't until after lunch, though, so I kind of hope she kept it on so that everyone could see.

I don't know what the other kids thought...we were pulling up to the drop-off door just as the bell was about to ring. No teachers or kids were really around to show a reaction. I'm interested to know, though.