Saturday, July 27, 2013

Shhhhh

Anna June, Radar and Ben are all still asleep. I'm trying not to make a sound. AJ went to bed at 9. She needs to sleep until at least 8, but knowing how camp and swim lessons wear her out she may need more. Ben worked at the auction after work, so we didn't get in bed until later than usual, too.

You never know how much noise you make doing normal things like showering, unloading the dishwasher, or even watching tv with the volume turned on really low until it wakes someone up. So I'm trying to be very, very quiet.

I'd probably still be asleep myself if it weren't for Radar. He has no concept of Saturday.

Rain is in the forecast -again- for this afternoon. We've had 2 days of sun but it still hasn't been enough to dry out the mud the torrents of rain have caused. Hopefully, this morning we'll get some outdoor activities in before it rains. At least it hasn't been so hot.

We have a lot to do today. A birthday party tomorrow, prep for our vacation, shoe shopping for Ben, figuring out what to do with the tomatoes a friend gave us, etc. I'm tired just thinking about it. I maybe should go in to work to try to finish some things, but I really don't see that happening. I have been particularly wrapped up in a project that needs to be finished ASAP. Unfortunately, doing it from home isn't really a good option, or I'd be working on it now instead of pecking at my phone for this post.

In other news, my grandmother is in the hospital, after suffering what appears to be a mini stroke. Her blood pressure has been unable to be regulated well, so this is what we've been afraid might happen. Luckily, she's doing very well. She even liked the food at the hospital - that hasn't happened in any of her (way too frequent) stays. AJ and I visited her last night on the way home. She seems ok. AJ gave her a little craft she made: a telescope of the cardboard roll from the middle of my aluminum foil, plus some paper, ribbon and tape. It was in my work bag for some reason, so she picked that over some of her other works of art that happened to be at my office to take to Grandma. We didn't prepare anything in advance - we hoped she'd be home by Friday night.

Swim lessons seem to be going well. AJ wants to head to the pool today to practice. She won't get to full swimming competence by the end of next week, but I am so glad we did this. We're discussing gymnastics vs swimming for AJ's extracurricular activity during school,  and we're leaning towards swimming. This may have something to do with my cousin Ella, who just had surgery on her elbow due to a gymnastics accident. Yikes. 

AJ has been mostly sweet this week. She's done chores and gotten dressed with minimal nagging and a decent attitude. We have to work on our routines to get ourselves out the door in the mornings. School starts really soon! August 19 will be here before we know it. Before then, there will be a week more ("Hollywood week") at camp, and a week more of swim lessons. Then our trip to see everyone in Wisconsin - if you're reading this and want to see us, please contact me so we can make sure you get on our itinerary. I have only one sure thing on the agenda: cream puffs at the State Fair. We'll arrive in Birmingham just in time to hit up registration at school. Then, there will be a week of Camp Nana, also including some time with me for a play date, eye appointment, and uniform/school supply shopping. Fun!




No comments: