Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pizza Pondering

Anna June may be burned out on it, but I am still in love with our tradition/habit of having pizza on Friday nights. I was definitely in the mood for pizza. We headed over to Donato's to eat.

At some point after our (obligatory) trip to the bathroom, we sat down and I heard a blast from the past over the speakers. Whoever was programming the radio that night had no idea, but they almost brought me to tears.

"Jimmy Olsen's Blues" by the Spin Doctors was playing. This song might have been my first introduction to the quirky, intensely popular band. Even though their popularity didn't last, the feelings I associate with the memory of the first time I heard this song have stayed.

I've always been a sucker for a clever lyric, but when I was a teenager, I thought the idea of one's rival as Superman and the underhandedness of Jimmy Olsen by having a pocketful of Kryptonite was pretty darn near genius. And that groove. Their other singles from that album skyrocketed, leaving this one in the dust, but this song was the first one I heard. And even this many years later, I remember that we were going in between school and a basketball game to Taco Bell. Nowadays, and many runs to Taco Bell later, this does not seem remarkable. But it was quite a big deal for me to have permission (wait, did I have permission?) to go out - in the daytime, in a group of teenagers, (including boys) to eat some late afternoon tacos.

I returned to the present day from my memory and looked over at Anna June, who had just asked me to cut her pizza into smaller pieces, please, so they'd cool faster. My eyes filled with tears as I prayed for time to stop, or at least slow down for just a minute.

In ten years, she'll be wanting to ride in cars with basketball players.

Hopefully, she'll be introduced to music she loves, and when she hears it as background music when she's older, she'll have a smile. And hopefully, unlike me, she'll remember clearly which basketball player.

No comments: