Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Diamonds and Rocks

Anna June had a great morning yesterday. She got up with her alarm, fixed her very own bowl of cereal, got dressed, brushed her teeth and her hair, and even put her shoes on without nagging. We bragged about it all day. I told her how proud I was of her, and how it made such a difference in my day not to have to yell at her, prod her, threaten her or ignore her to get her to do what she knew she had to do. Not a tear was shed. We were on time.

This morning, though, it was another story.

She had to be coaxed to get her pajamas off, and then, when I left her to her own devices, she went straight back to sleep. She had to be dressed by her father, and I got shoe duty. She then took her shoes off (maybe because I didn't do them just right)- and ended up going to the car in her socks. She had to be led to the bathroom, lectured into actually using it, and I had to brush her teeth and hair. She ate a Pop-tart in the car and was brushing the crumbs off herself when I dropped her off at day camp. I am sure the ants now living in the car will appreciate the snack. Whining occurred (and, technically, I am still whining).

Sigh.

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks." - Tom Petty

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones." - John Denver

No comments: