Monday, April 1, 2013

Weekend Review: Easter

Anna June had a great weekend. Here are some highlights:

Friday night, we watched Shrek. AJ has seen another of the Shrek films, but not the original. It was great, and she really loved it. I had forgotten how funny it actually is, all while teaching the lesson that you should be yourself.

One of my favorite scenes from the movie is when Donkey is talking to Shrek, trying to find common ground between the two of them. Donkey says, "You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, 'Let's get some parfait,' they say, 'Hell no, I don't like no parfait' Parfaits are delicious"

(Yeah, I let AJ watch a movie that has mild swearing. I stand by my decision - the movie is too funny to skip.)

Needless to say, Saturday saw us in Dairy Queen, getting parfaits. 
I told AJ that "parfait" means "perfect" in French. Ben asked her how her parfait was, and she said, "Parfait!"

After that, we went home and got ready for the Birmingham Dance Walk at Avondale Park. I had fun dance walking, and I can't wait for the next one. I got to meet Virginia Jones in person, and saw some of my other blogging pals. This walk was cut a little short by the drops of rain and the eager kids with baskets. This time, the dance walk was followed by an Easter Egg Hunt. The trouble was, though, that there were only 144 eggs hidden and about a zillion kids (seriously, there were at least 50). AJ and I found one egg, and then afterwards, an older kid gave her one. She was very appreciative.


We were joined at the walk and hunt by some friends, and we went over to the playground for a play date until it started raining in earnest. AJ was lucky enough to play with 2 other almost five-year-olds, and she ran into a couple of her friends from school. This is why I love sending her to our neighborhood school...she ends up knowing more people in the neighborhood!

I spent the afternoon resting, while AJ continued to do random chores around the house. She cleaned the windows and my bathroom sink, but I stopped her before she mopped the kitchen. She laid down with me to watch the second half of the Marquette-Syracuse game, which Marquette unfortunately lost. I explained a few things about basketball to her, like points and free throws, but then I went to the more tangible territory - uniforms. I explained to her that each player had a number and his name on the back of the jersey. She said, "It looks like that one says 'Fair'" And you know what? It did. That girl is learning to read, y'all!

Saturday night, AJ visited her grandparents while we went on a date to Sushi Village and did a little bit of shopping. Ben had a couple of home projects he needed to complete: blinds repair, patching, sanding and painting some holes in the bathroom and AJ's room, and hanging AJ's new curtains. I have to say that I enjoyed our trip to Dollar Tree and Home Depot considerably more after a White Thai beer. I have no idea what that says about me, but it is true.

Sunday morning, AJ's alarm went off early, so she could be sure to check out the basket from the Easter Bunny and be on time for Sunrise Service, which, as she pointed out, is the best part of Easter. She was delighted by the contents of her basket, which included a ridiculous amount of candy, new dry erase markers, a Princess nightgown (featuring a sleep mask) and a couple of Cabbage Patch Kids mini dolls. Church went well, with the weather cooperating and the delicious breakfast afterward.

We had some time, so I rested, then got AJ ready in her gold and ivory outfit. She was truly sparkling, down to her coordinating ivory tights and gold shoes, gold hair bow, and gold glitter nail polish. She had fun showing off to everyone at church.


We came home after the service so I could make broccoli salad in time for lunch at my family's Easter get-together. Fortunately, we made it in plenty of time. All the food was delicious: we had ham, turkey, and brisket, and that was just the meats! I also made "Mom's Any-Time Snack Mix", which everyone enjoyed. (How can one not enjoy something that calls for 2 sticks of butter?)

AJ had fun visiting with everyone, especially her baby cousin Wesley. I insisted that we get pictures of the two of them. I got some grumbles, but I am glad we made them do it. One day, we will be glad we have them.

Here's hoping we recover from all the fun and get back in the swing of things this week.
 

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

She looked like a princess on Sunday , if I may say so myself, and for the fact that Princesses are apparently not entirely banished ! ( for which I'm glad, since I think that she is disavowing Royalty out of deference to you, and your rejection of them .) Altho I get your reasoning on the subject! Little girls worlds are inundated with them , and it is no doubt a huge economical exploitation of their girlhood.....yet it is such a sweet dream, no ?

Laura Gallitz said...

She can be a Princess, but that makes me the Queen. :) She does still like them a bit, and she liked her new nightgown with Jasmine, Belle and Aurora on it. Thanks for the gorgeous dress - it was a little chilly for the white one with purple flowers - I am sure she'll get a lot of wear out of that one, too.