Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Putting it Out There

Note: This post is not about Anna June, so if you're just here for AJ, please skip it. Also, it contains a lot of personal information about myself. I'm putting it out there so the community can know exactly what I am up against. I am inspired by Sherri Walters, who wrote a similar post about herself. I am inspired by Jennifer Dome, who writes regularly and Weighs-In on her blog each Wednesday. I am really, really inspired by Jen West and Stephen Vinson, local folks that have made their weight loss journey online and have gained support from followers all over the world. I've been cheerleaders occasionally in comments to them. Now I need cheerleaders of my own.


When I told Anna June about my new weight loss and exercise goals, she said, "Yeah, right." She even laughed at me, because she knows me so well. But I am determined this time, and here is why:

I am on medicines for a bunch of stuff that would likely go away if I lost weight:
1. Cholesterol
2. GERD
3. Allergies (they may not go away, but it would be great if they'd lessen)

I have these minor problems that overweight people have:
1. Backaches
2. Knee pain
3. Fatigue
4. Hemorrhoids (yeah, I said it)
5. Foot pain
6. Insomnia
7. Night sweats
8. Chafing (not cool to have to wear pantyhose in the South)

And then there's this major problem I have that is ruining my life:
snoring

While the doctor concluded I don't have sleep apnea, I snore like a freight train. Between that and the sweating, I am waking myself up. Which makes me tired. Which makes me not want to exercise or eat right. Which makes me tired. (You get the idea - it's a terrible cycle.)

I'm pretty much on the fast track to diabetes. Both of my grandmothers suffered from it. Grandma Annette died from congestive heart failure and Grandma Hazel is currently in the hospital with crazy blood pressure and a probable light stroke. I have a feeling their diabetes played a huge part in these things. I don't want AJ's kids to have to come visit me in the hospital one day. Heck, I want to live to see if AJ even has any kids.

This morning, I weighed 177.8 pounds on our digital scale. I am 5'2" tall, which means I should weigh between 104 and 130. A couple of years ago I lost 14 pounds. The fact that I've gained back double that amount is scary and sad. My doctor once offered to attend Weight Watchers with me - I told her that I needed to spend the hour working out instead of sitting in a meeting. I already know what I should do. I've been on an antidepressant that has worked, but worked too well - I am not really depressed, but I've gained weight, which makes me depressed. I could not make myself care about diet and exercise. In that respect, it's not working. We've gotta work on that.

My clothes don't fit. I'm exhausted. Ben can't sleep - he wants to defenestrate me. I'm not "there" for AJ always...last night I fell asleep on the sofa before 8 PM. Not cool.

A lady in my Zumba class lost 62 pounds in the span of 1 year. She did it with the goal of being healthier. She exercised a lot (Zumba, boot camp, treadmill) and ate healthier. She involved her family. She prayed. She got encouragement from her workout instructors and friends.She looks fabulous and feels great.

If she can do it, I can, too.

I want to lose one pound a week for a year. That would be 52 pounds, which would bring me to an ideal weight of 125 pounds. This is an attainable goal, which will require a lot of willpower, dedication, time, and money.

My plan includes:
1. Eating more meals at home, where I can plan, measure, and reduce temptation.
2. Eating fewer sweets. My Oreo addiction has got to go.
3. Recording everything I eat on My Fitness Pal.
4. Working out most days. One day a week is not going to cut it.
5. Rewards! For every 10 pounds lost, I will get myself a massage.
6. Encouragement from my family, friends, readers, bloggers, Zumba friends, work colleagues and more


I want to report back to you all on next April 24 that I am svelte and healthy. I have money in a savings account that I can spend on a new wardrobe when I reach my goal...that should be encouragement to maintain the goal weight! My heart wasn't meant to carry around a size 14 body. I need to be about an 8.

I see my doctor in about a month. I want to lose a little weight so I'm at least back to what I was the last time I saw her. Her encouragement is key for me, and I don't want to disappoint her. I will be checking with her about adjusting my medicine.

I thank you in advance for your encouragement, prayers, and checking in with me. I had a bowl of fruit for breakfast - it was delicious. I need to make this happen for myself. I hope you understand.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so excited for you! I am about to do a little confession of my own on my blog (planned for tomorrow) and this post of yours has inspired me so much! It's so hard to admit to ourselves when we need to take a deep breath and start improving our own lives. It's a tough road to start down, but I know it's worth the journey! Good luck to you & let me know if you ever need support/a walking partner/a prayer. Anything!

Laura Gallitz said...

Thank you so much, Jen! You are really an inspiration to me. Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I look forward to meeting you in real life some time.

Sherri Ross Walters said...

YAY!! You can do it and we're right here with you. I have fallen off the wagon a bit, but this was JUST the kick in the pants I needed. Thank YOU for the inspiration and I look forward to a long, healthy journey together for all three of us! We can get together and walk it out and have a healthy meal! :) HUGS!!!!

Laura Gallitz said...

Thank you, Sherri, for your hugs - real and virtual! I'm having to miss the dance walk on Saturday because my niece's birthday party is at exactly the same time, but I will be there in spirit! Have a great, healthy time! Keep making good choices! We can do it.

Liz said...

Thanks for the motivation to NOT go eat the cookie I was going to eat to reward myself for making it through the afternoon... Um, no. That's ridiculous that I feel that deserves a reward. Or that a cookie was going to be my reward.

We should plan active family times to meet up at the park and go on walks, etc. Patrick and I want to be good role models for Wesley, and a big part of that is being active and healthy! Doing park time instead of eating a huge dinner would be great for us!!!

Laura Gallitz said...

My head knows, "Don't reward yourself with food. You are not a dog." But the rest of me thinks that a cookie is a great idea. And, yes, you deserve a reward for making it through the afternoon. Babies are sweet, but being a mom is TOUGH. People just have no idea. You can make something else your reward, maybe? And yes to family park time! Any time!

Hilary said...

um, we have the exact same goal!! I need to lose 52 pounds, and I want to do it in a year!
You can do it!

Laura Gallitz said...

Yay! More members of my support team! We can do this together.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I am really proud of you!!

I, too, have been struggling w/ my weight, especially since we had such a harsh winter.

More than looks, I just want to feel healthier so I can function on a higher level.

I really wish we lived closer so we could work together on this! I'd make you take me to Zumba (which I have been dying to try, but don't want to go alone), and I'd drag you along on my hour-long walks, which I am so fond of!

I'm behind you 100%,lady!! We can do this! We MUST do this!!

~Nonny~

Anonymous said...

Laura---this is a demonstration of why I love you: You are REAL, Brave, honest, without pretense, motivated, encouraging and INTELLIGENT.( Only SOME of the reasons I love you--but these are all pertinent to this blog) You get it that there are MANY of us out here that need to do the same as you are now doing, and I think your putting it all out there is just the sort of thing we all needed to kick start our own journey! I will pull for you every day every week all the next year! I KNOW you can do it' ( altho I don't know how you're ever to going to be more beautiful, 'cause I think you're there already!) Love, Granny.

Laura Gallitz said...

Thank you so much, Annie and Nonny! I know that you have my back...you always do. Like you, Nonny, I'm not doing it for looks - that's just a side effect...I need to be able to feel comfortable in my skin and be healthier so life will be better. Day 2: still hard but still worth it.

Anonymous said...

P.S. AJ should not have 'laughed ' at you. that was a little bit naughty

Laura Gallitz said...

Given my track record, though, I can hardly blame her.

Meg Bruck-Krawitz said...

Laura, I've been meeting with a trainer at the Rec Center - but I could use a workout partner for my "off" days. Is that where you are exercising?

Laura Gallitz said...

Meg, I will email you. I would love a workout partner!