Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Disasters

We're not discussing the horrors in Boston with Anna June. We're not watching tv coverage of the bombing while she's awake. When AJ visited my parents after school yesterday, they didn't, either.

For a few hours, we did not know if our sweet high school History teacher, Mrs. Franklin, was ok. We knew from social media she was running the Boston marathon. Someone mentioned they had info that she'd been on pace to finish around 3pm, about 10 minutes after the bomb went off. That was too close for me, and my stomach was in knots until finally, al.com reported her as safe.

We can't shield AJ from everything. She is so inquisitive right now - we're asked what things mean and how things work dozens of times a day. What she learns about the world is, in part, shaped by us, and we take that responsibility seriously.

At home, I fixed some quesadillas (thanks for the salsa, Mom!) AJ ran in to give me a picture she drew with the caption "I love you Mom." I lit a candle as I set the table. I poured a glass of wine, using the "good" crystal. AJ asked if there was a special occasion. I told her that every day we can come home and eat dinner together is a special occasion.

At work, someone asked rhetorically, "What kind of world are we leaving to our kids?" My answer is, "The one we make."

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

I understand your wanting to protect Anna June from this......I think that she is at an age where deep rooted fears can take hold. You don't want her to be afraid of crowds. or of running, etc. She will probably hear this from some source ( think secrets of sex as passed around school, for example.) So, do you preempt this by giving her YOUR version and its accompanying support and reassurance, or do you wait for her to mention it to you, thus indicating a reaching out for solace and a need for context. refuge and assurances that only you can supply ? Tough tough call. I bemoan the need for parents to have to do either.

Laura Gallitz said...

On this one, I am going to wait until she asks. She is already afraid of so many things, although, if you ask her, she's not. She has nightmares. Until more is known about a suspect, a motive, etc. I don't want to say anything unless she asks. Because she'll ask why and I have no idea. Of course, no reason could justify the act of terrorism, but I feel like I need more information before I bring it up, if at all.