Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekend Review: Not What We'd Hoped

Anna June is sick. This weekend was supposed to be the start of AJ's spring break, full of fun plans and a visit from Granny Annie. Granny made it here, but just in time to nurse us back to health.

Saturday morning was supposed to find me catching up from being so busy and feeling ill earlier in the week. But instead, it found me sick in bed - all day! I could barely get up to say hello. It was awful.

On Sunday, I was feeling much, much better. I showered and dressed - I even blow dried my hair...and used hair care products! I was doing great, and we headed out to lunch in hopes of a fun family outing. When we arrived at our dining destination, AJ was whiny and wouldn't order. I ordered for her, holding her over my shoulder in line, waiting patiently as the people in front of me took seven thousand years to order for everyone in their respective departments. Then, after we placed our part of the order, I grabbed AJ's kid's cup to fill it with water.

She burst into tears. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "I feel like I'm going to throw up."

So I rushed her to the trash can, and she did.

(Actually, I wasn't quick enough, and she got my hair.)

Incidentally, restaurants should not only keep napkins on their tables but a good supply at the drink station and register as well. Getting paper towels from those guys also seemed to take seven thousand years.

So we went home and got cleaned up, then, after my second hair-washing of the day, we spent the remainder of the weekend in pajamas.

Ben bought AJ Pete's Dragon to make her feel a little better, and we stayed up late watching it. I remember loving that movie as a kid, and now, I have no clue why. The bad guys are bad for no reason, and how does one buy an orphan anyway? The dragon does not speak in English, which makes him less entertaining. Mickey Rooney over-acts, but is endearing, as is Red Buttons. I still can't figure out what time period this is set in - kids carry lunch pails to the one-room school house. There are no cars, but there is electricity. Helen Reddy has a beautiful voice, but I still have no idea why she can wear pants and no one else can.

Hopefully, the rest of the week will go more according to plan.

No comments: