Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thinking Thursday: On Time

Anna June gets stressed when we are stressed. I haven't been feeling well lately, and I let the house go to pieces while I lay in bed or on the sofa, blowing my nose and just wishing for things to be better. Of course, Ben has the same cold, and is pretty much doing the same.

AJ has the same cold, but she's 4 (and a half! she says) and she has energy that we don't. I explained to her that I knew she wasn't feeling well, but I needed her to get back to being responsible for getting herself up and dressed in the mornings, in order to bring some sanity to my life.

Last night I did get her backpack in order, emailed her teacher, sat with her while she completed her homework. I laid out her clothes (with her input), set her alarm, and sent her to bed with a promise that we'd try to do better. She didn't want me to "get late" again.

And it worked. At 6:15, she got up, dressed herself, used the bathroom, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, and did everything but tie her shoes (we're still working on that one).

I had enough time to make it through showering, wardrobe, hair and makeup this morning, and I didn't come in to work looking like a cat dragged me there.

It probably helped that I washed dishes and did laundry for the first time in days. I don't physically feel any better but mentally I'm in better shape, I think.

Maybe we can continue the trajectory tonight. Or maybe it was a fluke. I'm just thrilled she is still capable of dressing herself without the wrangling and cajoling that we've had going on the past few weeks. If I de-stress the environment, maybe she'll be less stressed, too.

4 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Feel better, all!!

~Auntie Nonny~

Laura Gallitz said...

Thanks! Ben and I are meeting for lunch today at a place chosen, in part, for the fact that it serves soup.

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

SO SORRY YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN UNDER THE WEATHER!! (flu? )
I'm glad AJ can step up when it is needed! That girl is the best !!!
YES ! SOUP !! LOTS OF SOUP!!!!!

Laura Gallitz said...

It is not the flu! We've just got colds. We'll be fine soon.