Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mamacita's Little Project


Anna June has been taking Spanish lessons this past semester, and sometimes, I think they've paid off. Other times, not so much. Just this morning, AJ was telling me about one of the Spanish-speaking kids in her class whose only friend is another Spanish-speaking kid. I told her that she should at least tell him, "Hola" this morning and see if that helps. "You know, since you've learned to say 'hola' in Spanish class," I prodded. She said that, no, she knew hola from Dora. Good grief.

Anyway, over the break AJ and I did a project together that I think turned out pretty well. We archived some greeting cards from her birthday, my birthday, and Christmas. Actually, we did Christmas 2010, 2011, and 2012. Each of these occasions had tons of cards that were sitting around the house in little piles. I wanted to keep them because they were so sweet but I had no clue what I wanted to do with them. A few months ago via Pinterest, I saw this project, and I decided that's what I wanted to do. So now, we have 5 books, which aren't as perfect as the ones I saw online, but they'll do and they can now stand up on my bookshelf for our perusal any time we need a pick-me-up. We actually had so many Christmas cards that they wouldn't fit comfortably in the 1" binder rings I bought, so I also made 3 other Christmas rings from each of the years from the flat photo cards like the one featured towards the bottom of this exuberant post. Doing that part made me sad that we didn't do a photo card this year, but not THAT sad. We had no time, and the school did such great holiday photos.

When I made my birthday card book, I included AJ's card to me, but I didn't include the envelope it came in, pictured above.

As you can see, her handwriting is becoming more legible. I have no idea why she wrote "Mamacita" at the top, unless she actually learned something in Spanish Club!

4 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Her handwriting IS getting MUCH better!! All of that practice, in the car and other places!
I think that it is a great way to save cards... I too hate to throw them out... Maybe , if I ever get the oomph. I'll try that w/ my stack.
I am sad for the little Spanish child!! Thank you for encouraging AJ to reach out to her. Is that really all she can say by now? 'HOLA' and ' Mamacita'? Does she ever actually call you that??

Laura Gallitz said...

She has never called me Mamacita.

And the Spanish-speaking child with one friend is actually a boy, although his name is Alexis. Another strike against him in our culture, in my opinion.

I do recommend saving the cards this way. I got the rings at Office Depot. You know it has to be easy if I did it.

I, too, think her handwriting is getting better every day. She does write all the time, and I am happy to encourage the practice. I don't recall if I've mentioned it or not, but a co-worker of mine declared that AJ's handwriting is much better than her granddaughter's - her granddaughter is a year older, in K or 1st, and goes to private school. It was a moment of great pride for me.

Liz said...

I saw that same idea on Pinterest and love it! I was thinking it would be fun to do for birthday cards for Wesley, especially.

Laura Gallitz said...

Yes, you should definitely do this for Wesley's cards! When he can read I think it will be fun for him to look back and see cards from his family and friends. It was especially sweet to me to go back some years and see cards from some who are no longer with us. Very special.