Monday, December 17, 2012

Volunteer Day


On Thursday morning, Anna June witnessed a strange phenomenon: neither of her parents were going straight to work. It just so happened that we had both signed up to be out of our offices to volunteer that day.

First of all Cadence Bank is sponsoring two Habitat for Humanity houses. Ben joined the Cadence team for a day of painting in the new space. He got to meet the new homeowner as well. It was a great experience, which left a few clothing articles paint-splattered in the process. Ben was glad to have the chance to do something for others (that his company not only approved of but encouraged). It also served as a good reminder that he a) hates painting and b) is glad for his office job!

I went to Anna June's school for the PTA's Secret Santa Shop. In an effort to do something different and fun for the children while raising money, the PTA decided to host this Santa shop. The merchandise is all on consignment and the school makes 15% of the proceeds. The kids came by class to shop for their moms, dads, and other loved ones. There were lots of fun toys intended for siblings, and it was my hardest task of the day to keep the children on track to buy gifts for their families instead of for themselves.

After the shop closed, I ate lunch with Anna June's class, and then we went back to her classroom for story time. I read them the children's Christmas book that my grandmother and Aunt Eunice wrote, In the Desert One Christmas Eve. It was a great experience - the kids were very engaged and interested. I asked them questions, and they wanted to tell me all about their own Christmas trees and lights (and none of them had a cactus for a decoration).

The day left us exhausted, but full of good cheer. I hope you have the opportunity to serve others this Christmas season.


3 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Proud of you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was recently showing your Grandmother's book to Peter, and got to tell Jeannie and BooBoo all of the interesting things she did in her life.
She remains an amazing woman.

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

P.S. No wonder he did a number on his back....reaching up over his head like that for hours and hours.

Laura Gallitz said...

I'm so glad you have a copy of the book. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get through the reading without bursting into tears, but instead, it was a really fun session and I could tell AJ was proud.

And, yes, they gave him the difficult job - the curse of being the tall guy. I'm planning to ply him with Advil tonight.