Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Getting in the Christmas Spirit - Part 2

Anna June's December has been busy! Here's an update on how we're celebrating the season

December 5 - we didn't end up seeing Santa that night, because AJ backed out. But we did hang up some Christmas-y artwork AJ has been producing and then we continued reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I think it is still hilarious, after all these years.
December 6 - saw Santa.
December 7 - I started addressing Christmas cards. Some have pictures of AJ, and some don't. If you don't get one and you want one, please let me know. I never know what to do with all those random pictures of friends' kids after Christmas. It seems wrong to toss them, but it also seems wrong to keep them. AJ also decorated our kitchen window with the festive winter gel clings that Granny sent.
December 8 - Ben's birthday! AJ was so excited she couldn't sleep. We did manage to listen to Christmas music and ate a snowflake cookie from the cookie bouquet Granny and Aunt Nonny sent from Cookies by Design. Beautiful and delicious! AJ also spent time with her Nana, Grandma Hazel, and Uncle Drew, decorating Nana's Christmas tree while we went out for a bit.
December 9 - This was a very church-centric day. First, we went to morning worship, where AJ dressed up in a fancy dress because we had been asked to light the advent candles. AJ actually lit them herself (from a candle that was already lit), with minimal instruction. Then, after lunch, we bought candy canes for our Christmas tree, and AJ hung the ones that weren't broken. Then we baked banana chocolate chip muffin/cupcakes for the reception following the Church Christmas program. Surprisingly, AJ did NOT want to take off her fancy dress, but did don an apron. Then, we had what was supposed to be a dress rehearsal. We did go over the whole drama, but not the whole program in order, which caused some confusion in the end, but it was OK. Then, we came home for a bit and then went back for our performance. AJ did very well and miraculously learned all the words to the first verse of "Silent Night," her assignment. She sang with our friend Francie, and they were very cute and did very well. AJ applied her own lipstick, but that is not my biggest regret of the night. It was adorable and everyone loved it. The cupcakes were good, too, if I do say so myself. My solo was pitiful, but I blame the laryngitis I contracted on Friday. I credit my recovery between rehearsal and performance to Organic Throat Coat tea and a concoction recommended by Ben's Aunt Renee: 8 oz. warm water + 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar + honey. It worked as well as anything else. Water and Ricola cough drops were about the only other things I tried. I still don't feel great, but I toughed it out. It's over for another year, at least.
December 10 - Took a sick day, but finished addressing the Christmas cards. We finished reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and found that our neighborhood theater troupe is doing a performance of it running now. We may take AJ to it this weekend. Ben announced that he was already Christmas-ed out!

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Hope you are over your virus by this time. They always come at the busiest times in our lives , no ? I'm sure your song was FINE!
The funniest and most intrigueing line in this post is the one about AJ applying her own lipstick , 'which was not (your) biggest regret'. That made me wonder WHAT SHE ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE!!!


(PICTURES, girl, PICTURES!!!!!)





(easy for ME to say! I have no IDEA what is all involved!!!!!)

Laura Gallitz said...

I am not sure we got a closeup picture, but she used a sample of lipstick by Laura Mercier called "Sandcastle" given to her by Miss Wimberly. http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/Lips_Shimmer-Lip-Colour_prod330008
It's a great shade that, I hate to admit about a 4 year old, looks really good on her. She just had a liberal hand at applying it.