Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Ups and Downs

Oh, Anna June had a great Christmas. She got many wonderful gifts she'd wished for, and spent a great day during which she saw 4 grandparents, 2 great grandparents, 2 cousins, 4 aunts (some great), 5 uncles (some great), and various others.

But the day itself didn't go so great for me.

I got woken up twice to be told I was snoring, in addition to all those other times I woke up. AJ slept great, despite a 6 pm unplanned nap. By 6 am, Ben, Gary and I were all awake and waiting for AJ to get up. The video camera wasn't charged. The regular camera had no batteries. Moments were lost, but when she finally did wake up she was so precious - filled with wonder, awe, and excitement. She got the gift she most wanted: a whoopie cushion.

I cooked breakfast, but my sleep-deprived husband had to nap. We got ready to go to Kym's house, and as we gathered up our packages and bags, Radar escaped, upset that he wasn't invited and that he'd been duped into coming into the kitchen by a piece of bacon. Half an hour and about 6 3-point turns later, Radar was home and we were on the road.

It was a foggy morning, but at least there was no traffic. We made it there fine.

AJ tried out her whoopie cushion on Uncle Ken and he flopped down it - and it broke! We saw Teygan's Santa haul and visited briefly. Then, we had to get back to town for the Tucker Christmas celebration.

Ben went to shower. I went to use the bathroom. Seeing one flush was insufficient, I flushed again. The toilet overflowed (or, overflew, as AJ said). I screamed - Ben brought towels, and held his nose while he scrubbed the floor for the second time in 4 days, because, of course, I had volunteered to fix broccoli salad. Of course it was not prepped, even though I should have at least cooked the bacon when I was making bacon, eggs, and biscuits for breakfast. Of course, I ran out of mayonnaise.

AJ was bossing the barking dog around. I did eventually see it as a blessing that they played so well, but I shushed her.

Better turn in - good night

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Oh NO !!!! NO Christmas morning video!!!???????( I think I just involuntarily howled )


I am so sorry for all the mishaps you had!!!! ( I used to sometimes find my self muttering , "... Just ONE day with nothing going wrong.. Is that SO MUCH to ask?......) But , you know , that's life!!! Applies to regular days as well as the more momentous ones! Hey! There's always NEXT YEAR!!!




>:( -> Uncle Ken !!

Laura Gallitz said...

Whoopie cushions are cheap and plentiful - I had never bought one before but we've already gotten a replacement.

Sorry about the lack of video - I really am. It's hard to get all the bases covered on regular days, much less special ones.