Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Night In

Anna June has been dragged hither and yon a lot recently. Last night, we finally had a night to just stay home. It was delightful.

I wish I could say I made a gourmet meal. Instead, we had frozen spring rolls for an appetizer, thanks to Ben, my sous chef. We had meatless whole wheat spaghetti (sauce from a jar - but I did splurge on a block of real Parmesan cheese to grate on top!) frozen garlic bread, and salad from a bag. I realize the preservatives, sodium, and such in the bags of bacon bits and croutons and the bottles of salad dressing are not good for us, but they can't be worse than drive-thru, right?

After dinner, AJ wanted to make smoothies to use a mushy banana. We ended up with a banana-cherry-orange smoothie. I suggested we drink from the special milk-flavoring straws Granny sent. We chose the strawberry, because AJ informed me that the chocolate tasted like poop.

The smoothies were great. I asked AJ to help clean up afterwards, and she said, "This is terrible!" "What's terrible?" I asked. "We only have one more strawberry straw!" I assured her we could get more - there's a display of them right up front at Publix. Whew! Drama averted.

Other than that, we had a nice night at home. AJ did her homework and then, because she wanted to, she wrote the whole alphabet on both sides of her new easel. She was having so much fun she didn't want to go to bed, but she finally did.


2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Those straws don't work, if you ask me! I found it very hard and frustrating to draw the milk thru it ,too much work for the very little amount of flavoring they provide. PLUS, I do NOT recommend dismantling them to try to make real chocolate milk, or perchance an ice cream topping....They do not dissolve! Sounds like you guys have considerably better and tastier results!
I'm so glad you guys finally got a little down time!

Laura Gallitz said...

Well, I wasn't that impressed with the straws, either, but I'm glad AJ likes the strawberry ones. No, we haven't tried dismantling them - we have plenty of chocolate syrup if we want chocolate milk or ice cream topping.

We enjoyed the down time. I am hoping for another night at home tonight, but with all the errands to run and things to do, I can't swear to it.