Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Very Pinteresting

Anna June may not know what it's called, but when she gets a little bored or restless, I show her pictures in Pinterest on my phone. I've started a Christmas list for her there, and it's very helpful, since she's pre-literate, for her to look at the pictures and say, "Oooh, I've always wanted that!"

The trouble is, of course, that the list keeps growing each day.

I tried showing her a picture of kid stocking stuffers recommended by World Market last night during an "I'm-tired-and-won't-eat-dinner" moment. I didn't get past the first item. When I explained what a whoopie cushion was, AJ knew that she had to have one.

She immediately came home and cleaned the kitchen while I laid down to rest (this no nap thing has taken a real toll on me). I hope St. Nick was watching: she even swept! She was so sweet and the kitchen really did look much better when she was finished clearing away some of the daily stuff that gets dumped on our kitchen table and island.

It reminds me of one of my favorite childhood Yuletide poems. "Jest 'fore Christmas," where the little boy, William, recounts his usual antics but explains that immediately prior to Christmas, he is as good as he can be.


3 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

A strange little kid.. a whoopie cushion !on the top of her list of toys!!!!!!!( who am I trying to kid-----don't we all remember w/ fondness our first Whoopie Cushion ??) Followed by our very first fake doggie doo-doo, and plastic vomit! Ask Shenandoah, one of our favorite things was the classic " severed finger in a box." Did everyone do this one? Where you take a square or rectangular jewelry or bracelet cardboard box, cut a finger hole in the bottom, and thru the cotton fluff liner, and , after doctoring your finger p w/ red paint, or ketchup or something bloody looking, ( I do believe we used Mercurochrome [sp]), you held the box in your hand, with your gory finger resting thru the hole, and would try to gross people out by opening the box to show them the "severed finger " that you just happened to find. Fun times, fun times!
I do hope Anna June will make equally memorable and fun/ funny memories with her own Whoopie Cushion!!
And i can just picture Christmas at the Tuckers this year, HAH !!!

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

HEY! I just looked up the poem you linked to---I have known the first couple of lines of this for YEARS (" My mother calls me William," etc. ) , BUT I NEVER KNEW IT WAS PART OF A LARGER. very old poem !! This wa s kind of exciting to find this out , actually!!!! THANKS!!!

Laura Gallitz said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! And yes, I'm looking forward to a very farty Christmas.