Monday, November 12, 2012

Our Doll

Anna June wore a new dress to Aunt Liz's baby shower on Sunday. Her cheeks looked a little red, although she didn't feel warm to me. I asked if she felt hot, and she said she did. It was a warm and beautiful day, after all.

I suggested that she go change into a t-shirt and shorts, as we'd decided to stay home the rest of the night. Dinner was almost ready, so I went to check on her.

She had pulled out the blue smocked dress I had been trying to get her to wear for months. Once, in a weak moment of wardrobe negotiations, I offered to pay her if she'd wear it. Of course, she refused.

I told AJ that I didn't think this dress was the best choice to wear for dinner. Visions of chili stains danced in my head. But then she reminded me I had promised to pay her if she wore it. I explained how I'd be happier if she planned to wear it out of the house, but I sighed and buttoned it up for her.

Since I wasn't sure I'd get her in it again, I snapped a picture. She told me I should put it on Facebook, so I did. She then told me she hated the picture and, "You are bad at photography." You can't argue with that sort of informed opinion.

She ended up liking the dress, because it made her look like the character Madeline, even without her straw hat. Ben said it made her look like she was in Little House on the Prairie. Our neighbor said it reminded her of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Our friend said she looked like a doll, or a character from vintage Little Golden Books. I was just glad she wore something with buttons and (mainly) smocking, which is likely handmade, and therefore special. She like it because the skirt twirled.

She played "Madeline" with her dolls until it was time for a bath,

I will now start scraping up change to pay up.

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

She has got a Goo-o-o-o-o-o-d memory!!
It does look like a vintage dress, and she looks like a vintage tot in it. I LIKE it when kids LOOK like kids!( Altho I am sure I am guilty of getting her stuff that is too "TOO".) She looks sweet! I hope she'll wear it again for real. Without being paid.

Laura Gallitz said...

Me, too! I think she will - she seemed to like playing in it. And I didn't mean to bribe my child. I considered it payment for services rendered, anyway.