Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dis-uh-nee

Anna June has some strange parents. In Alabama we stand out: we do not believe in hunting, we are not huge college football fans (not saying we don't like it, but we don't bleed crimson or orange), we didn't shy away from living in the city, and we don't have cable. That's right. No cable TV.

We do have Netflix streaming, and we can watch many cable shows on demand. But we don't really get the Disney channel.

Evidently, this has stunted AJ's social growth. She knows Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy, but she's not a devotee. Kids her age report their favorite shows that we've never even heard of, much less tried.

A friend told her last year about Disney on Ice. She asked me if she could go this year, so I agreed.

Eventually, I got the tickets - at a discount - Thanks BJCC for your offer to Birmingham City Schools students!

We saw one of the shows now touring -  Disney on Ice: Treasure Trove. The show was extremely well done. The skating was superb. The choreography was interesting. The costumes were colorful. The show was exciting and moved from story to story in short time, keeping the attention of little ones. The crowd was really into it, many little girls having dressed as princesses. AJ opted for a church-appropriate new sundress with a sweater to go over it. We had to hustle to make sure we got to church, lunch and the matinee in time.

They did scenes from movies that AJ hasn't even watched yet: The Incredibles, Alice in Wonderland (she's seen all but the end), The Lion King, Snow White, Peter Pan. I haven't let her watch some of these films because she'd be too scared, but maybe now she's old enough. Who knows until we try, right? (Hint: DVDs as gift ideas?) There were some familiar favorites, though: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and at the end Belle from Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella made an appearance. She has seen Tangled and The Prince and the Frog, but I haven't.

But as someone who can't even say Disney correctly, ("Dis-uh-nee," she calls it) AJ was only moderately impressed.

Actually, she said she loved it. She got us to buy her a souvenir light-up cup containing a red snow-cone. I won't pay for cable, but I will pay for Tide Pods - the red came right out of her white sweater! And I have already broken the light up cup - I washed it and now it won't turn off. Sigh.

I am not sure we'll go back next year. Honestly, I am sure Ben will not return. The crowds, the little girl kicking the seat behind him, the exorbitantly priced concessions and parking, and the fact that he's not that big of a Disney fan, either, will keep him home.

I asked if AJ wanted to go next year. She said, that no, she'd rather just go to Disney World.

I think we may have a convert on our hands.

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

5 omryou
You know. Gale and Jeff always say something about a visit, and a trip to Disney world...............


Tell Shenandoah that WE did our part , going to those shows w/ him when he was young!!!!!
At any rate, getting a special light -up cup is . like, a kids dream!!! In my book, you guys ROCK!!!!

Laura Gallitz said...

We have a standing offer from Gail and Jeff in St. Augustine as well as my Aunt Heidi, who lives in Jacksonville, FL. We'll have to plan a trip to visit both great aunts as well as the Magic Kingdom. Summer 2013?

I'm told that my mom took me to see a show like this when I was little, but I don't remember it. I hope AJ will remember this!