Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Power


When it was time to leave daycare yesterday, Anna June noticed that the light in the stairwell was turned off. She begged me to turn it back on. I told her, "It's not super dark in here. You can still see." But her response was, "It IS super, super dark in here." So I turned on the light for her.

On the way down the stairs, I explained about the power company sending us bills based on how much electricity we used. She appeared to be listening, but since that's a concept even over my head (according to Ben, who questions why I have every light in the house on) she didn't really get it.

As soon as we arrived home, I noticed our kitchen was darker than usual. Our power was out. AJ heard me say this and I thought she understood, but when she flipped on a light switch and nothing happened, she started crying. Poor thing - I wasn't in the best mood, either.

Of course, I have no idea how long it had been out, nor did I know when it would be back on. So my dreams of washing clothes and fixing dinner were crushed. Instead, they turned into the much better scenario of going to my parents' house, eating dinner, and then coming home to a well-lit house.

This is the second time in less than 2 weeks our plans have been totally changed for the better by a power outage. Last Monday, on my mom's actual birthday, Rusty had planned to visit her because he wasn't able to come to her party, but since her power was out for about 26 hours, that plan was shot. Mom brought the food in her fridge to my house so it wouldn't spoil, and then Rusty came and we all went out for Thai food. Actually, since they were still without power, Mom stayed afterward to help me fix a casserole (which was ultimately heading to a homeless shelter). That's my mom for you - even on her special day, and even when she was the one who was having the bad luck, she was helping others. Thanks again, Mom!

So when our power was out, Anna June immediately said what I was thinking: "We should go to Nana's house!" You know, to return the favor. Except I did nothing altruistic - I drank wine, watched TV, ate a dinner I didn't cook or clean up from, and even had Dad give AJ her bath. Of course, when we came home I was exhausted from all that relaxation!

Anna June was exhausted, too. I gave her the choice of (going to the bathroom and then) having one more story vs. going straight to bed, and she chose to go straight to bed. What a great, unplanned night!

1 comment:

Atlanta Gal said...

Where did you go in Florida? It looks like you had some beautiful weather.