Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Changing My Name

Anna June is tired. This is not news. The child does not like to sleep, and never has. Yesterday, she and her classmates staged a mini-revolt, and napped only for half an hour, when the allotted time is two hours. At 2:00 pm, the teachers wake them up, telling them nap time is over, even though they may have only slept a few minutes. The rest of the day in class wasn't so bad, I hear, but at night, the parents have to deal with it. I'm sad they had to wake her up, but I also understand they can't just have kids sleeping until pickup time.

Anyway, that being said, Anna June, tired, and recovering from a cough/cold, is having a hard time straddling the line between baby and big girl. She whines. She pouts. She cries. She screams. And most of the time, when she screams, she screams "MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!" I have thought about changing my name.

I understand that she wants to be held. I understand that she wants attention. But I also understand that I can't go to work in my bathrobe and she can't go to school in her pajamas. All morning we fought the cuddle wars. She was in my lap eating my cheerios. When I put on my makeup, she put on her "makeup" (clear vanilla-scented Chap stick). She threw absolute running away fits when it was time to get dressed, and don't get me started on her socks. Oh, she wanted to wear her new dressy dress shoes with her blue jeans, but her "SOCKS WERE TOO CROOKED!" I wrestled with her to get her teeth brushed, and ended up with toothpaste all over my good blazer.

It's a good thing my co-workers have kids, too. They can recognize the scent and color of Kid's Crest, so they know that my new approach is just thinking of it as an accessory.

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Oh, dear. I'm sorry it gets so hard at times... I bet she doesn't feel good yet. My cold knocked the wind out of my sails for a few days. I was wearing a surgical mask at work that was stuffed w/ tissue so that I wouldn't drip snot all over my patients! It was non-stop. Hopefully she'll sleep it off one of these nights, and things will be easier ... for a while. Hang in there! Love, granny

Sheila Nix said...

Oh, that does bring back memories. I changed my name to Lorraine and still like to use it on occasion.