Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wreath



Anna June's great aunt Connie thinks she's pretty special. She cross-stitched Anna June's birth announcement for her room - it is one of my favorite things in the world.



At some point, before my grandmother passed away, I was reminiscing with my granddad and uncle about how my grandmother had not only paid for and shuttled me to my ballet lessons when I was a kid, she kept each pair of ballet shoes I had. They were in a bag from Aland's department store - you Birmingham natives will know that certainly dates the shoes! A few years ago, she passed them on to me, intending for me to keep them. I looked at them for years. They got shoved in the guest room, which became Anna June's room. They got shoved in a box. Uncle Tim mentioned that I should get Aunt Connie to help me figure out how to display them in AJ's room - she's really great at crafts, photography and scrap booking, and has found neat ways to display a lot of sentimental items in their house.

I was so glad that I asked. On a recent Saturday when Ben had to work, AJ and I went with Connie on a craft shopping mission. When we got back home, Connie patiently explained to me how we could realize my vision of a wreath displaying the little shoes. My eyes glazed over. She realized she'd have to do the work, or hours later, I would be burnt by a glue gun, frustrated with my bow-tying, and mad at the whole idea. It would also look better if Anna June did it herself.

This wreath is the result of our discussions and Connie's hard work. We went to pick it up from their house last Saturday in the pouring rain. Ben thanked Connie, saying that he knows I wouldn't have been able to do it in "a million years." He was right. When we got home, he showed it to AJ as they were getting out of the car. She had been too busy playing with Daisy the cat to notice it much at their house. They came inside, and he asked me if I had heard what AJ said about the wreath. "No," I said. "She said, 'Oooh, how pretty!'" My grandmother, of course, was known for admiring things with that exact same phrase.

Let the bawling commence.

2 comments:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

Oh. now! That is about the cleverest thing I've EVER seen!!!And how sweetly sentimental! Well done, Connie!!


( I told you, Laura, Annette would be there amongst you in the most unexpected ways and times.....)

Atlanta Gal said...

I can't believe Anna June is only two!!! She looks so big in the where she is sitting on her bed.

I love what you did with the shoes. I could not do that myself. I am not that "crafty," although I have asked my mom to teach me to sew. I would love to be able to make my own dresses!