Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Peer Pressure


Anna June is a TV addict. I've admitted it. I am not proud of it, but it's out there. If you read this blog often, you know that she loves Sesame Street and Barney. We tried to turn her on to Mister Rogers but she wasn't that interested - she may be a tad too young. Recently, for some variety, we let her watch Curious George, since she was a fan of the books. She loves that show. Until I saw a PBS station promo, I wasn't aware that each episode teaches math and science concepts. Maybe that's why she likes it - she's very curious, and, I think, quite scientific. Perhaps she'll be a doctor after all.

We do not have cable, but we do have a Netflix subscription that allows us unlimited access to their streaming video. One of the reasons we got it was that we knew that one day, Anna June would want more than just Barney to watch. They have a huge selection of children's programming on Netflix. We've been through the first two seasons of Blue's Clues, and started on a third. We have our media center computer hooked right up to our TV, so TV and Internet can be easily merged. There's even an app for Netflix on our current media center version. We like that we can be more choosy about what AJ watches, rather than just turning on the TV and flipping through the channels. Also - no commercials.

After attending Maxwell's party on Saturday, Anna June, during dinner, asked if she could watch The Backyardigans. I said OK. I haven't been too excited about the show, from the clips I saw passing by the TV at Maxwell's. I did feel bad for her, though, when all the other moms and dads could name all the characters and I had never even seen the thing. I thought that maybe since we were just talking about the show near her and not to her that she'd be immune to it, and stick to the PBS favorites that we record each day on our DVR. Not a chance. I am afraid that Uniqua, Tyrone, Austin, Tasha, and Pablo have become part of our lives now. After watching the first episode, Ben and I concluded that it is like Veggie Tales, but not as clever or useful.

Luckily for us, Netflix streaming has The Backyardigans and we were able to watch the first episode right when she wanted to watch it. I had this moment of gratitude for technology - it was going to be a lot easier to mash a button and have it play exactly what she asked for rather than explain that we made a conscious decision to eliminate dealings with cable and satellite companies in our lives.

Later that night, AJ asked us if she could watch Ariel (as in Disney's The Little Mermaid, for those of you not in the know). This one I could trace back to school - they watched it as part of their unit on oceans. Also, it was brought to my attention by AJ that her friend Maddie was wearing an Ariel shirt. AJ has an Ariel robe and Ariel pajamas, thank you very much. Ben found a clip online, which satisfied her for the moment.

Then, in the bathtub, out of nowhere, she asked me "Do you like Dora?"

Thank God for Netflix.

And another note: Just because AJ likes all these shows at this very moment does not mean that we need every toy, t-shirt, DVD, CD, sticker, coloring book or hair bow with these characters on them. Please. Our house looks like a television commercial already. It also looks like a toy store exploded in it. We're good. We promise. We are not accepting gifts at this time. Thank you.

1 comment:

Granny Annie and Auntie Nonny said...

I claim a Grandmother exclusion Status.